Guidelines for Your Surgery
Thank you for selecting Central DuPage Hospital for your surgery. Our goal is to make your surgery experience as positive as possible.
Please take a few minutes to review the following pre-surgery guidelines. These are general guidelines that apply to most patients scheduled for surgery. Your physician may give you more specific instructions to prepare for surgery. If you have additional questions about your surgery or how to prepare, please contact your doctor’s office.
Guidelines to Prepare for Your Surgery
- Don’t smoke after midnight on the day before surgery.
- Don’t wear makeup, jewelry or contact lenses on the day of surgery.
- If you are having same-day (outpatient) surgery, please make arrangements for a responsible adult (18 years or older) to take you home after surgery. You cannot drive yourself home. Additionally, someone must stay with you for 24 hours after you get home.
- If you are staying in the hospital overnight, please make arrangements for someone to take you home when you get discharged. You should not drive yourself home.
- Call your doctor if you develop any symptoms before your surgery (cough, sore throat, runny nose, etc.).
- Do bathe or shower the night before or the morning of your surgery.
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothes and comfortable shoes.
- If you use insulin or an inhaler, bring it with you to the hospital. Contact your doctor a few days in advance for instructions on how to manage your diabetes on the day of your surgery.
- If you use glasses or hearing aids, bring them with you to the hospital.
- If you wear dentures or partial dentures, you may wear them to the hospital. Depending on the surgical procedure you have, dentures may or may not be removed.
Download Do's and Don't of Surgery